This section contains selected links to other Web sites of interest to Seniors. New links are being added, so stop by regularly to see what’s new!

Note that the inclusion of any entity in this list does not imply endorsement by Putney Cares. Putney Cares has made every attempt to ensure that these links are accurate and current. If you become aware of any corrections or problems with a particular link, or if you would like to request that we add a link, please  click here:

Abuse, Neglect & Violence    Elder abuse includes physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation. To learn more, visit the website of the National Council On Aging.

The Women’s Freedom Center
Supports all women who are survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence. Services include Safety planning, Shelter, Emergency transportation, Individual & group support.
24-Hour Hotline: 802-254-6954 (collect calls accepted) or 800-228-7395 (toll-free in Windham County) Non-emergency: 802-257-7364

Domestic Violence Hotline
24-hour Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
TTY: 1-800-787-3224
Advocates who are deaf are available to help from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST via:
Videophone 1-855-812-1001
Instant Messenger (DeafHotline)

Adult Protective Services
Vermont Dept. of Disabilities, Aging & Independent Living
Adult Protective Services (APS) is responsible for protecting vulnerable adults whose health and welfare may be adversely affected by abuse, neglect or exploitation. Their website offers contact information, guidelines for recognizing and reporting abuse, and a form for reporting abuse, call 1-800-564-1612 (toll-free)

Office of Public Guardian Vermont Dept. of Disabilities, Aging & Independent Living–
Provides guardianship services to people aged 60 and over for whom a suitable and willing private guardian cannot be found. Every effort to locate a suitable private guardian must be made before a public guardian may be appointed. The Office of Public Guardian can also provide information to the public about guardianship and its alternatives, and help private guardians in understanding and carry out their duties. 802-828-2143

Vermont Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
Assists residents of nursing homes and residential care homes, and advocates on their behalf. The goal of the Ombudsman is to protect the safety, welfare, and rights of long-term care residents while supporting the independence of each resident. Ombudsman staff visit nursing homes and speak with residents throughout the year, working to make sure that the residents’ rights are being upheld. Many community volunteers also donate their time to the ombudsman program. For Windham and Windsor Counties, call 802-885-5181

Alzheimer’s and Chronic Conditions

Alzheimer’s Association – Vermont Chapter
24-HOUR HOTLINE: (800) 272-3900
Main office: 300 Cornerstone Dr., Suite 128, Williston, VT 05495
(802) 316-3839
Regional Office: 974 Western Ave., Suite 201, Brattleboro, VT
Office hours Thursday 9-2 p.m. Call to make an appointment.
(802) 316-3839 x8011

Chronic Conditions Information Network
This website includes a variety of resources and ideas for anyone, of any age, who is living with a chronic or life-threatening condition. It provides resource information for VT and NH, and includes the “How to Get What You Need in Vermont: A Resource Guide for Those Living with a Chronic/Life Threatening Condition.”  You can download a copy of this booklet from the publications link.

Driver Safety Program

AARP offers this program (formerly called 55-Alive) for senior drivers who
want to refresh their driving skills and get a discount on car insurance.
The program is held at a variety of locations. Visit for a complete list of locations and dates. Some locations routinely included are the VFW in Springfield, 885-7686; Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, 802 257-8877; and the Bugbee Senior Center, White River Junction, 295-9068.

Emergency Preparedness

Just In Case: An Emergency Readiness Planning Guide for People who May Need Extra Assistance
We recommend that you make use of this booklet, provided by the State of Vermont. This is an excellent guide to planning ahead and staying safe during an emergency. For the most benefit, you should print it and fill out the worksheet sections so you’ll have everything handy during a crisis.

Home Health Agencies

Visiting Nurse Association and Hospice of Vermont and New Hampshire:
Admissions and Referrals: 1-800-575-5162
Business Office: 1-888-300-8853

Bayada Nurses
23 Marlboro Road, Suite 101,
Brattleboro, Vt 05301
802 254-7071

Housing & Moving

If you (or a senior you help) is planning to move, you might want to visit to learn about hiring a Senior Move Manager.

For information on housing throughout Vermont, visit the Vermont State Housing Authority website at

Putney Housing

Putney Meadows
Realty Resources Rockport Office
247 Commercial St.
Rockport, ME 04856
800 338-8538 or
207 236-6119
Elderly Units: 28
Accessible Units: 2

Legal Aid Offices

Vermont Legal Aid (VLA) helps low-income Vermonters with legal issues. This includes disability and health care issues, Medicaid for adults and children, Medicare, nursing home care, home health services, and mental health. VLA does not handle criminal cases. There is no charge for services.

Local Contact Information for Windham & Windsor Counties
Vermont Legal Aid
56 Main Street, Suite 301
Springfield, VT 05156
802-885-5181 (V/TTY)
1-800-769-9164 (toll-free)

To access any of the VLA services described below, you must contact Vermont Legal Aid to be screened initially.

Legal Services Law Line of Vermont: Provides assistance for consumer and finance issues; non-health public benefits; public utility problems; foreclosures; boundary disputes; drivers licenses, small claims, and employment. Find out more from the website:

Senior Citizens Law Project: Provides legal assistance to people age 60 and over for such concerns as public benefits for health; elder abuse, neglect and financial exploitation; guardianship; evictions and other housing issues; powers of attorney; wills; and nursing home/residential care home issues.

Disability Law Project: Provides legal assistance, without charge, to people with disabilities whose legal problems arise from their disability. Provide assistance in matters such as abuse and neglect, special education, guardianship, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid, accessibility, discrimination (employment, housing, government services, private business) and access to assistive technology.

Other Legal Services

Advance Directives (also known as Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Terminal Care Documents) are available in printed and downloadable form from the Vermont Ethics Network. Go to or call 802-828-2909. These are the standardized forms the state encourages everyone to use.

Client Assistance Program is an independent advocacy program, offering free and confidential services. You are eligible if you are applying for or receiving services from the following agencies: Division of Vocational Rehabilitation; Division for the Blind and Visually Impaired; Vermont Center for Independent Living; Vermont Association of Business, Industry, & Rehabilitation; Supported Employment; or, Transition Programs. Call CAP if you need help, have questions or need information, have been turned down by any of these agencies, think things are taking too long, have trouble communicating with your counselor, or are not getting the services you need. 1-800-769-6728 (TTY/Voice) or (802) 748-8721 (TTY/Voice).

Consumer Assistance Program is sponsored by the Vermont Attorney General and the University of Vermont. They help people with problems with goods or services they purchased and provide information about consumer rights and responsibilities. Call 1-800-649-2424, or go to

Vermont Dept. of Disabilities and Aging – Adult Protective Services:

Vermont Dept. of Disabilities and Aging – Office of Public Guardian: A public guardianship program provides guardianship services to people 60 years of age and over for whom a suitable and willing private guardian cannot be found. Every effort to locate a suitable private guardian must be made before a public guardian may be appointed. The Office of Public Guardian is also available to provide information to the public about guardianship and its alternatives and to assist private guardians in understanding and carrying out their duties. For more information, call 802-241-2663.

Vermont Dept. of Disabilities and Aging – The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program assists residents of nursing homes and residential care homes and advocates on their behalf. The goal of the Ombudsman is to protect the safety, welfare, and rights of long-term care residents while supporting the independence of each resident. Ombudsman staff visit nursing homes and speak with residents throughout the year, working to make sure that the residents’ rights are being upheld. Many community volunteers also donate their time to the ombudsman program.
For Windham and Windsor Counties, call 885-5181

Vermont Judiciary:

Lifelong Learning

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes of the University of Vermont provide learning opportunities for people over 50 without tests, grades or papers in Springfield, Brattleboro, and six other sites in VT. For details, go to

Mental Health

Health Care & Rehabilitation Services of Southeastern Vermont Crisis/Emergency 24-Hour Hotline: 800-622-4235

Site Offices
Bellows Falls: 1 Hospital Court Suite 410 Bellows Falls, VT 05101
Brattleboro:  51 Fairview St., Brattleboro, VT 05301
Springfield: 390 River St. Springfield, VT 05156
Hartford: 49 School Street, Hartford, VT 05047
Windsor: 14 River St., Windsor, VT 05809

Agency Headquarters
390 River St., Springfield, VT 05156


Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA)
SEVCA is a private non-profit organization fostering sustainable self-sufficiency, strengthening communities and eliminating the root causes of poverty. SEVCA provides budget counseling, crisis intervention, early education and head start programs, employment preparation programs, fuel assistance, housing assistance, information and referral, micro business development, nutrition education, parenting education, thrift stores and weatherization and energy conservation services.

91 Buck Drive
Westminster, VT 051589
802-722-4575; or 800-464-9951

Tax Assistance

To get free tax filing assistance from a trained local AARP volunteer, click here:

Internal Revenue Service
The IRS has compiled a very helpful list of issues, forms, and tax advice especially for seniors and retirees:

Free Online Filing
If your  Adjusted Gross Income is $62,000 or less, you can use brand-name software online for free to file your Federal and Vermont tax returns. (If your income is higher than $62,000, Free File Fillable Forms is available instead.) Use this IRS web page to find the online service that’s right for you:

Vermont State Tax Department
Here you can find printable forms and instructions for your Vermont state return:

Property Tax Adjustment
Even if you do not file income tax forms, you must file forms every year in order to receive a discount on your property taxes.   Click here for printable Vermont Form HS-122 (Homestead Declaration) and Form HI-144 (Household Income). Or complete the forms online here.

Vermont Center for Independent Living

28 Vernon St. Suite 40
Brattleboro, VT 05301

Vocational Rehabilitation

Springfield Regional Office
100 Mineral Street, Suite 308
Springfield, Vermont 05156-2306
(802) 885-2279 (Voice/TTY)

Brattleboro District Office
Marlboro Technology Center
28 Vernon Rd., Suite 400
Brattleboro, Vermont 05302
(802) 257-0579

White River Junction District Office
220 Holiday Drive, Suite A
White River Junction, Vermont 05001-2015
(802) 295-8850

Vermont Associates
For people 55+ looking to re-enter the workforce

Administrative Headquarters:
142 Main St. | PO Box 107
St. Albans, VT 05478

28 Vernon St. Suite 431
Brattleboro, VT 05301

56 Main St. Suite 101
Springfield, VT 05156

Division of the Blind & Visually Impaired:
Springfield Regional Office
100 Mineral Street, Suite 301 Springfield, VT 05156-2306
(802) 885-9133
(800) 356-1526

WWHT Home Repair Program

Provides loans to income qualified households to make necessary repairs and health and safety measures including aging in place and accessibility modifications to their homes. We are also able to provide energy efficiency measures. Examples include:

  • Bathroom modifications
  • Kitchen modifications
  • Step repair
  • Ramps
  • Structural repairs including roofs and foundations
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Heating and cooling repairs and replacement
  • Insulation and draft prevention

BENEFITS of our program

  • Peace of mind and low stress
  • Affordable
  • Increased comfort
  • Coordination with other agencies to get the maximum assistance available.

FEATURES of our program

  • Expert guidance and knowledge from experienced construction specialists
  • Evaluation of your home for health and safety issues
  • Assistance with planning the work to be done and detailed requirements for the quality of the work
  • Assistance with choosing reliable contractors and managing the contractor during the repair process
  • Low-cost and low-interest loans
  • Low monthly payments and in some cases deferred loan available

STEPS of our program

  1. Call (802-246-2119) or email Tara Brown, Loan Administrator, NMLS # 207907 to start eligibility application. She will review your income and other items with you.
  2. If eligible, schedule a home visit with our construction specialist
  3. Plan work to be done and budget with assistance from construction specialist
  4. Apply for loan once budget is known
  5. If loan is approved, choose reliable contractor
  6. Sign contract with contractor
  7. Start work
  8. WWHT issues progress payments to contractor upon your approval
  9. Final inspection and project is complete!

Geographic area: We cover all of Windham and Windsor Counties

Help support Putney Cares when shopping online with

Click on the logo above for more information.